itter at http://www.twitter.com/aaronbeardap and the APs co | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
chenwen121314 Feb 13, 01:56AM
CHICAGO -- Indians manager Terry Francona barely batted an eye before deciding to send slugger Carlos Santana into left field. Cheap Air Max White Store .The decision wasnt hard.We didnt show up to keep the game close, Francona said before Game 3 of the World Series. Were trying to win.Despite Santana having minimal experience in left, Francona has him out there Friday night as the Indians and Cubs play the first Series game at Wrigley Field since 1945.Clevelands designated hitter, Santana has only played four innings in left in his seven seasons with Cleveland, and that was back in 2012.But with the Indians unable to use the DH during three games in the National League ballpark, Francona was in a bind and chose to go with Santana -- over Coco Crisp or Brandon Guyer -- while knowing it could backfire.Carlos has been terrific about it, Francona said. He volunteered. He seems excited. If he makes a bad play out there, it would hurt our chances to win and then come talk to me, not Carlos. I dont think thats fair to him. I really think when its all said and done, this gives us a better chance to win than not or I wouldnt have done it.Certainly, its a little bit of a crapshoot, I get that, Francona said. But I dont think we came all this way to play it safe.The Indians are confident Santana is athletic enough, but Santana will also have to deal with nerves, winds blowing hard toward left and Chicagos Bleacher Bums who will undoubtedly criticize his every move.Francona said he spoke to his players, Cleveland president Chris Antonetti and general Mike Chernoff before making the move with Santana, who came up as an outfielder but has primarily caught or played first and third base.He had to make a similar move when Francona managed Boston, putting David Ortiz at first.He ended up coming up and throwing somebody out at third in a Cardinal game, Francona said. The rules are what they are, so, you can either complain or try to adjust. Im obviously a little uncomfortable because he hasnt done it. But still, it potentially outweighs not playing him or (Mike) Nap (Napoli). Tomorrow, well see. If I had a crystal ball, Id either do it or not, but I dont. Ive been thinking about this since we clinched, even before we knew who was going to be pitching.The Cubs have their own issues in left.Slugger Kyle Schwarber wasnt medically cleared to play in the field after coming off knee surgery, so Chicago manager Joe Maddon can only use him as a pinch-hitter.Despite missing six months, Schwarber had no rustiness in his sweet swing as he went 3 for 7 with two walks and two RBI in Games 1 and 2, providing some needed punch for Chicago after Maddon benched struggling right fielder Jason Heyward.Jorge Soler will start in right in Game 3 for Chicago with Ben Zobrist in left. Cheap Air Max Youth . The parade and rally were held to celebrate the Saskatchewan Roughriders 45-23 win over the Hamilton Tiger-Cats on Sunday in the CFLs championship game. Cheap Air Max Womens . "Thank you for the warm welcome," Beckham said on an 80-degree February morning. In this case, it was soccer weather. The sport moved a step closer to returning to South Florida on Wednesday, when Beckham confirmed he has exercised his option to purchase a Major League Soccer expansion franchise in Miami. http://www.cheapairmaxwomens.us/ . Thats about all he can do right now, so hes trying not to think about when he might be able to play again for the Los Angeles Lakers. CHAPEL HILL, N.C. -- While North Carolinas record-setting offense commanded headlines, the Tar Heels defensive improvement from awful to merely adequate was a key factor in matching a school record with 11 wins.For defensive coordinator Gene Chizik, the next step for that unit is obvious entering the opener against Georgia and beyond.We have to get better at stopping the run, Chizik said, and we know that.Its easily the biggest focus for the Tar Heels defense in training camp. They ended last year by giving up nearly 1,000 yards and 10 touchdowns on the ground in their last two games against high-powered offenses, and finished last in the Atlantic Coast Conference against the run.It was not a recurring thing of any sort, Chizik said. Sometimes it was (game) situation. Sometimes it might have been a missed tackle. Sometimes it might have been a guy that wasnt placed correctly in his gap. I think those are all the kind of scenarios you would encounter when youre not playing the run as well as youd want to.After building elite defenses at Texas and Auburn before winning a national title as the Tigers head coach, Chizik added another line to his resume in his first year in Chapel Hill just by getting the Tar Heels to stop giving up big plays all over the field.North Carolina surrendered more points and yards than any team in school history in 2014, allowing 497.8 yards and 39 points per game while also surrendering 11 touchdowns of at least 40 yards. Chiziks overhaul cut those numbers to 24.5 points and 435.9 yards with just five 40-yard touchdowns for a bend-but-dont-break unit.The biggest improvement came against the pass, where the Tar Heels ranked 12th naationally in pass efficiency defense, while the rush defense finished 121st nationally by allowing 247. Cheap Air Max Red. 4 yards per game.Those numbers were skewed by the final two games, first when then-No. 1 Clemson ran for 319 yards in a 45-37 win. Then Baylor ran for 645 yards -- the most ever allowed by UNC -- and seven scores in a 49-38 win in the Russell Athletic Bowl.The Tar Heels had allowed about 198 yards in their eight ACC regular-season contests.We played at a good level, but we have to step it up and play great, linebacker Andre Smith said. So we cant just keep settling for that but we have to raise the bar.Chizik pointed to other factors, too, such as time-and-score situations that sometimes had UNC playing conservatively while protecting big leads. Of note: Miami ran for 91 of its 99 yards after falling behind 45-0 in the third quarter, while rival North Carolina State ran for 265 of its 308 yards after UNC rolled to a 35-7 first-quarter lead.The Tar Heels will get an immediate indication of whether theyve improved in 2016. Theyll face star Bulldogs running back Nick Chubb in his return from a knee injury in the Sept. 3 opener in the Chick-fil-A Kickoff in Atlanta.If they can get 80 yards down the field and cant score, its not a big deal to us, cornerback Des Lawrence said of stopping the run this season. The yards are what the media is interested in. We dont really care about that.---Follow Aaron Beard on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/aaronbeardap and the APs college football site at http://collegefootball.ap.org Cheap NFL JerseysCheap NFL Jerseys China Cheap Jerseys From ChinaCheap NFL Jerseys Authentic Wholesale Jerseys China Cheap NFL Jerseys China NFL Cheap Jerseys' ' '
Share: